“Thank you for the thoughtful poem and forget-me-not seeds. I will plant them in my garden if it ever gets warm enough. What a great idea.
— A. W.
Criteria for Choosing a Funeral Home in the Naperville & Plainfield Area
While making funeral arrangements may be emotionally difficult, the job of a funeral director is to give you guidance and information to help you make educated decisions. The National Funeral Directors of America (NFDA) offers this advice on their website:
- Be an informed consumer. Don’t be reluctant to ask questions.
- Today, there are a variety of options to meet your financial needs and wishes. Be sure to discuss all available options before making a decision.
- When selecting a funeral director, choose one who is licensed and has a good reputation in the community. NFDA’s member directory is a good place to start.
- Be prepared! Avoid the burden of making decisions while under emotional stress by organizing details with your funeral director ahead of time. Remember—preplanning doesn’t necessarily mean prepaying.
- Plan a personalized ceremony or service to help you begin the healing process. Getting through grief is never easy but having a meaningful funeral or tribute will help.
As NFDA members, Friedrich-Jones and Overman-Jones Funeral Homes agree—learn all you can, ask questions, and plan ahead whenever possible.
Questions to Ask
- Is the funeral home local? A funeral home’s reputation is a significant factor in making your choice. Dealing with a local provider offers the option of checking out sources such as friends, neighbors, and colleagues. And, often, dealing with a local provider—one with a good reputation!—is easier on the family and friends of the deceased in terms of time and effort.
- Do they cater to all religions and cultures? This indicates a willingness to be flexible, demonstrates a desire to give the customer exactly what they want, offers evidence of a connectedness to the spiritual and secular community, and implies an experienced, knowledgeable, and diverse staff.
- Does the funeral home offer both burial and cremation options? Choices and options are the essence of comprehensive, high-quality service.
- Do they deal with local vendors or offer on-site access to merchandise? If not, you may be kept in a waiting pattern or disappointed when a distant vendor does not meet your standards.
- Do they clearly outline expenses and offer options within your budget? Respectable funeral professionals make every effort to satisfy your vision for a loved one’s funeral services within the parameters of your budget. At your initial meeting, you will likely be given the facility’s General Price List (GPL), which outlines costs and fees for all services.
In the end, you should choose a funeral home and director with whom you feel comfortable and confident. At Friedrich-Jones and Overman-Jones Funeral Homes, we offer exemplary service, the highest-quality products and merchandise, tastefully beautiful facilities, services to meet every need, and well-informed staff with a warm and caring demeanor.
Contact Friedrich-Jones and Overman-Jones Funeral Homes today for the convenience of home and the understanding of family.